22 Steps to Having a Blog for Making Money Online
No time to read the whole article? Then click A Summarily list of 22 Steps for a Money-Making Blog Online
Want a quick read? Then click List of 22 Steps for a Money-Making Blog Online
Are you looking for how to create a money-making blog with wordpress? A step-by-step guide but do not know how to go about it? If yes, stop looking. For we are going to show you the steps to launch a blog.
The 22 steps can be grouped into 6 categories:
- Foundation of Your Site
- Building Your Site with WordPress
- Preparing Content for Your Site
- Marketing Your Site
- Making Money with your Site, and
- Automate and Scale Up Your Business.
The Foundation of Your Site
There are 4 foundation steps to create a blog:
- Selecting the Platform for your blog
- Registering Your Domain Name
- Finding a Web Hosting Service Provider, and
- Getting Tools for Statistics.
Step 1. Select the Platform for Your Blog: You have the choice of 2 types of platforms:
- hosted and
- own domain name.
The hosted platforms can be subdivided into 2:
- free and
Serious bloggers do not recommend using (these) hosted systems to build your website.
Here is a list of other free platforms…
… and of other paid hosted platforms
So if you really want to make money with your blog, you should have your own domain name. This is what I did by creating this new blog on WordPress. I used the domain name secureyourfuturewithus.
It is even a good idea to research and demo a number of systems at opensourceCMS.
Step 2. Register Your Domain Name: Don’t settle on only one name for your blog. I was surprised to remark that the ‘great name’ I had chosen for this blog was taken. All the other variations using “affiliate” were also gone. Finally I had to do with the above.
But my biggest regret was not to have chosen a name in consonant with my chosen niche. You may even research a keyword-rich name on Google for your domain name. This will make you readily rank in the search engines. This way your site can be found easily by those using that search term.
I registered this site’s domain with NameCheap. However, many big name bloggers recommend Hostgator. A major blogger even said he registers all his domains with MyDomain which I had never heard of until last week.
Of course there are many domain registers out there. It is up to you to do your research to find the one which fits your needs.
Better still, don’t rush to register your name. NameCheap can give you your first year for $0.88. Surprised? Then what can you say about this: many hosts even offer one free domain registration!
Step 3. Find a Web Hosting Service Provider: John Paul Aguiar, a blogger I respect a lot suggests getting a host with a good affiliate program. He uses Hostgator and I think that was what he was talking about.
At only $4.95 per month, Hostgator are affordable. Moreover, they offer a generous 500 GB of storage and 5 TB of bandwidth. You also get 24/7 phone support, and a free domain for life. Above all, they offer all the tools you will need to get going quickly. Things like one click wordpress installations and superb backup tools.
Step 4. Get Tools for Statistics: Web hosts normally offer statistics packages, but the free services could do. Google Analytics is highly recommended for all the statistics you may need. Things like checking trending topics as well as having an in-depth view of your blog.
Now Install Your Statistics Tracking Code: To use stats like Google Analytics, you have to paste the snippet of code given you into your blog’s template.
But of course you cannot do any installation before you start…
…Building Your Blog with WordPress
As in the previous category, there are also 4 steps to start building a blog with wordpress.
- install wordpress
- find a theme
- edit your theme, and
- install plugins.
Step 5. Install WordPress: This step goes like a breeze as it only takes something like 5 minutes.
Step 6. Find a Theme: Thousands of free themes are available at WordPress. Just select the one which pleases you and which matches your niche and upload it.
Also, check here for The Best and Most Popular WordPress Themes
Step 7. Edit Your Theme: You would find that most themes are just okay out-of-the-box.
But what if you got dissatisfied with your theme along the way?
You can easily change it and import your data to the new one.
You can also easily change the look of your template by making a few minor tweaks. This gives the look that suits your fancy.
Easy-to-understand instructions are usually available with a theme.
WordPress is not only fairly easy to learn but also the documentation is excellent. Better still, you get top notch training at Wealthy Affiliate to set up your blog step by step.
Step 8. Install Plugins: Plugins help you extend the functionality of the basic WordPress installation.
For more information about them, simply go to the Codex Plugin List.
As you see, there’re many plugins, far too many than any blogger can afford to use. Beware, the more plugins you install on your site the slower your site loads. This can deter visitors to your site.
But here are some essential plugins that practically every WordPress blog must maybe have:
• Admin Drop Down Menu: This adds a menu bar to the WordPress admin menu, thus saving you lots of clicks.
• Ad Rotator: It lets you randomly rotate ads or other text from a text file.
• AdThis: AddThis features a suite of website tools which includes sharing, following, and recommended content. Others are conversion tools to help you make your website smarter.
• Akismet: Great at blocking spam comments. Akismet comes with the WordPress install. But you must activate it with just one simple click to make it work.
• All In One SEO Pack: Offers you XML Sitemaps, SEO for custom post types, and SEO for blogs or business sites. You also get SEO for ecommerce sites, and others. (Although some spam comments manage to get around Akismet, in a year, it has blocked 1848 spam on this blog.)
• Digg Defender: This plugin caches pages to buffer hits from sites like Digg, thus helping you avoid a server meltdown.
• Digg This: Use this to add a Digg button to your dugg posts.
• External Links: Opens outbound links in a new window.
• Get Recent Comments: With this you can display the most recent comments or trackbacks.
• Jetpack: Jetpack free plugin simplifies managing WordPress sites by giving you visitor stats, and security services. It also speed up images, and help you get more traffic.
• Meta Box: Create custom meta boxes and custom fields for any post type in WordPress.
• Related Posts: Displays a list of related entries.
• Sociable: Automatically add links on your posts, pages and RSS feed to your favorite social bookmarking sites.
• Social Bookmark Creator: Need to add social bookmark links to your entries? Use this.
• The excerpt Reloaded: Want more flexibility over how WordPress displays excerpts? Get it with this plugin.
• Ultimate Tag Warrior: Simply the ultimate tagging plugin.
• WordPress Database Backup: WordPress is pretty secure but accidents do occur. How would you feel if something happened and you lost all your data? Fortunately this on-demand backup of your WordPress database is included with the WordPress install. Use it often if you don’t want to commit online suicide.
• WP-Amazon: If you’re going to add Amazon items to your blog, you’d no doubt appreciate this great timesaver.
Now, you’re ready for the blogging part: feeding your site with content.
Preparing Content for Your Site
This part of how to create a blog in wordpress steps by step likewise has 4 steps:
- focus on a niche
- research great post topics
- use awesome titles, and
- start posting.
Step 9. Focus on a Niche: If you’re creating your blog to make money online, you must focus on a niche. This will:
• boost your search engine rankings
• make it easier to target prospects
• make your advertising more effective
But what if you are passionate about many things?
Then you’d be better off splitting your interests into building several niche blogs.
New to WordPress? Check WordPress’ Writing posts
Don’t know what to write about? Check Problogger’s 10-9 ways to find great post ideas for your blog
Step 10. Research Great Post Topics: Many apps exist to help you find trending topics in your niche. Some of them are Google, Yahoo! Answers, Google Trends, Jaaxy, etc. Just type in your keyword and get the suggestions.
Step 11. Use Awesome Titles: No matter how great your content is, it may not get read if the title is not attractive. This is first part a visitor sees and which they use to judge if it’s what they’re looking for does. It must grab their attention.
Can’t write titles? Grab the free ebook, How to Write Magnetic Headlines, when you register for My.Copyblogger.com at their website.
There is even more. Download valuable ebooks from Copyblogger.
Read Problogger’s Using Titles Effectively on Blogs Using titles effectively on blogs
Step 12. Start Posting: Up to here your blog must feature the “Coming soon” sign. You should go live and start promoting only after posting at least 25 entries.
Post at Regular Periods: Whatever the posting schedule that you adopt (every day or a couple of times a week), it is important to keep to it.
When you post regularly, you’ll notice a slow, but steady increase in your traffic and subscriptions.
Marketing Your Site
This part of how to start a blog step by step has the longest number of steps: 6. They are:
- submit your site for inclusion in the search engines
- offer feeds and email subscriptions
- add social bookmarking to your entries
- submit your posts to social bookmarking services
- comment in forums and on other blogs, and
- do not be sparing on linking.
Step 13. Submit Your Site for Inclusion in the Search Engines: It is true the big search engines, like Google, MSN, Bing and Yahoo!, will eventually find you and reward you with traffic.
But, take a cue from the proverbial “If the mountain will not go to Mohammed, Mohammed must go to the mountain”. So, don’t wait for the search engines. Rather, you must rush to them to be indexed.
For a reason…
…You’ll get most of your traffic from the major search engines. But don’t stop there.
For more information, check these resources:
Step 14. Offer Feeds and Email Subscriptions: As you post and your visitors react to them through their comments, WordPress will automatically generate RSS feeds for you. Yet it is advisable to use FeedBurner in this regard.
You will need a Google account. It’s free.
Here are three reasons why:
- Feedburner enables you to track your subscribers
- With Feedburner you get various tools to control and promote your feeds
- Using Feedburner you can offer email subscriptions
Step 15. Add Social Bookmarking to Your Entries: Use the Social Bookmark Creator plugin for WordPress or something similar. This will enable visitors to your blog to submit entries to their favorite bookmarking sites.
Step 16. Submit Your Posts to Social Bookmarking Services: Use this comprehensive list. Then get your Social Bookmarking popup menu at the bottom of each post and submit them to your favorite sites.
However, if you write a Digg worthy post, submit it yourself. But do so in a selective manner.
Step 17. Comment in Forums and on Other Blogs: Visit forums and blogs in your niche and post meaningful comments there.
Some blogs and forums have a section for your blog address. If such is not the case, don’t forget to include your URL with your comments. For each comment you make is a link back to your site. This is useful for your SEO and therefore your search engine ranking.
Also, if people note that you contribute something worthwhile, they will be prompted to visit your site. And that is free organic traffic for you.
Step 18. Do not be Sparing on Linking: In addition to linking to other posts on your blog (called internal linking) whenever you write a blog post, don’t also forget to include links to other sites (external links) in the same post.
Another useful linking strategy is to include a blogroll or a list of links to interesting sites on your blog. This is for two reasons:
• Such high quality links are invaluable to your visitors
• Some of the sites you link to will link back to you
Making Money with your Site
This step features only 2 Steps to Starting a Blog. They are:
- joining advertising and
- affiliate programs.
Step 19. Join Advertising Programs: Most advertising programs generate contextual ads. These are ads that are based on keywords in your posts. They are therefore capable of interesting visitors to your site.
You are often limited to displaying ads from only one advertising company on a page. But you can get around that by using the Ad Rotator plugin for WordPress. This enables you to display ads from only one source at a time. This lets you test multiple advertising programs simultaneously.
The biggest among such programs is Google AdSense. But the ones that I use on this blog are:
Step 20. Join Affiliate Programs: A good affiliate program can make you more money online than the advertising programs.
Placing a small notice about them somewhere on your site will do. Better yet, write a review of your personal experience with them for your blog’s review section.
Now, join the big affiliate networks to get quick and easy access and comprehensive reporting for multiple companies.
All of them are free to join and the signup takes only a free minutes.
Here are some of the big names:
• Rakuten Linkshare
• Commission Junction
• Twitter Dummy Affiliate (John Paul Aguiar’s Twitter Ebook)
The done-for-you ones are:
Automate and Scale Up Your Business
This last step to having a profit-making blog also has just 2 steps:
- automate your business and
- scale up your business.
Step 21. Automate your business: While steps 19 and 20 can make you money on line, there is the need to have this money come to you on autopilot. For this, you must use an autoresponder system to collect email addresses of your email subscribers.
Many visitors to your website would take a look at your business and may even click on your affiliate links. But they may not buy anything.
Marketers have found that the average prospect needs to be exposed at least 7 times to an offer before they decide to take action on it.
Step 22. Scale up your business: You can increase your sales by forming joint venture partnerships with other affiliate or internet marketers. See the link immediately above.
Ready to create a beautiful WordPress blog FREE in no time and begin making money online? SiteRubix is your choice. Build your blog in easy steps now!
Do you have anything to say about this post? You’re welcome to do so in the comment box below. Thank you.
Your peersonal guide to securing your future online.