This detailed list post will recap the 6 steps to starting an online business and give you 7 steps on how to run one successfully that makes you money.
Everyone can start and run an online business successfully. This is because the Internet has provided a level playing ground for all. A Google search using keywords such as “how to start an online business from home”, and “how to run an online business successfully” will reveal tons of information to help you do so.
Need a little more detail about this post? Click here to read You can learn to start and run an online business successfully
Would you like to read the full article? Click here to go to How to Start and Run an Online Business Successfully (Introduction)
The following first part is about how you can start an online business successfully.
Want a little more detail? Click here to read How to Start an Online Business Successfully – Part I
Would you like to read the full article? Click here to go to How to Start and Run an Online Business Successfully – Part I
The following 6 steps recap how to start an online business that makes you money:
- 1. Find a need to fill
- 2. Make that need your niche
- 3. Register your business
- 4. Register your domain name
- 5. Get a web hosting service
- 6. Create your platform
Now, let’s see how to start an online business step by step.
Step 1: Find a Need to Fill
All you have to do is:
- Visit online forums
- Visit Yahoo! questions
- Visit WikiHow
- Do keyword research
N.B.: But in all this don’t forget about your passion. You’d succeed most if you base your online business on what you are passionate about.
Step 2: Make That Need Your Niche
How do you find a niche? Here are 3 suggestions:
- Visit potential competitors’ sites
- Offer your own point of differentiation
- Offer your expertise in an area
Step 3: Register Your Business
Here are a few ideas to help you:
- YOU SHOULD HAVE A BUSINESS PLAN LAID OUT
- Make yourself conversant with the business regulations in your country or state so that you don’t fall foul of the law
Step 4: Register Your Domain Name
That is the name of your website. Check Register a domain name
Step 5: Get a Web Hosting Service
There are free hosting services like blogger.com to be used.
When I had the possibility I created this site on a paid web hosting service.
Basic web programming: You don’t necessarily have to be a pro programmer but a basic knowledge would not hurt.
Step 6: Create Your Platform
Click right here for the opportunity to create two stunning blogs on WordPress free.
Designing and building your website
Here are some important tips to keep in mind:
- If you can’t design a good website yourself, entrust it to a professional designer.
- Preferably choose one or two plain fonts on a white background so that your site can load fast. Nothing makes a site visitor opt out faster than a site that takes forever to load (more than 3 seconds). If you have dark background, use light text.
- Make sure your logo at the top of the page always links to the homepage.
- Your navigation should be clear and simple, on every page.
- Use audio, graphics or video only if that’s what enhances your message.
- Have an email opt-in offer to collect subscriber’s e-mail addresses.
Creating Your Online Store
Here are some extra tips to help you:
- Your website is your online storefront, so make it customer- and user-friendly.
- If you are selling on the site, don’t have more than 2 clicks between the buy button and checkout to make it easy for visitors to buy on the site.
- Set up an online portfolio. Whether you are a photographer offering products like pet photography, digital fantasy backgrounds, and antique photography; a website selling different products, courses, etc. about how to do your hair; or one teaching people how to sing or play a musical instrument, allowing potential clients to evaluate your work would be crucial to your online business success.
- If your site is an ecommerce store, the top of every page should display a link to your shopping cart.
- Make buttons large and clear to read and input boxes large and easy for people to enter their information.
- Less can be more. So if it’s not absolutely necessary, don’t be wordy on payment pages.
- Be interactive with the customer. Ask them about the products, offer them after sale service. Send them wishes on their Birthdays, Marriage Anniversaries, etc. Offer them discount as returning visitors.
Get ecommerce software
Set up a merchant account
The following section is about How to Run an Online Business Successfully – Part II
How to Run an Online Business Successfully
Want a little more detail? Click here to read How to Start an Online Business Successfully – Part II
Would you like to read the full article? Click here to go to How to Start and Run an Online Business Successfully – Part II
The following 7 steps recap how to run an online business that makes you money:
- Add quality content to your website
- Become an affiliate marketer
- Write copy that brings the sales
- Drive traffic to your site organically
- Do marketing and advertising
- Establish yourself as an expert in your niche
- Increase your income through ads, back-end sales and upselling
Step 1: Add quality content to your website
With your blog or website ready, you now need to add quality content to it.
But how can you write content that will attract the right kind of visitors to your site?
By doing keyword research.
Step 2: Become an Affiliate Marketer
Become an affiliate marketer
Step 3: Write copy that brings the sales
Here are the 9 steps:
- Arouse a visitor’s interest in a product with a compelling headline
- State the problem your product solves
- Talk about the product and how it benefits the user
- Emphasize your credibility as a solver of that problem
- Add verifiable testimonials from people who have used your product
- Make an offer
- Give a strong guarantee
- Create urgency
- Ask for the sale
Throughout your copy, think like a customer by asking: “What’s in it for me?” This will enable you to focus on how your product is uniquely able to solve people’s problems.
Step 4: Drive Traffic to Your Website Organically
How do they do it?
And you can do it too.
Keyword research we talked about in the preceding paragraph is one of such steps.
See 15 SEO Writing Tips To Get Content Read, Shared and Ranked by one of my favourite bloggers, John Paul Aguiar.
Step 5: Do Marketing and Advertising
If you want to make money online, you need to use email marketing to build a list.
The advantages are that:
- Anyone who visits your site and opts in to your list is a very hot lead
- With email marketing, you can measure the response rate which can be seen in the back office of your email autoresponder account
- E-mail marketing is not only far cheaper but also much more effective than print, radio or TV because it’s highly targeted
- With email, you’ve a better dream tool for following up with your leads
Easiest way to get traffic to your brand-new site and easily sell your products? Pay-per-click advertising or PPC ad is your answer.
Here are three of its advantages over organic traffic:
- PPC ads show up on the search pages, enabling you to get immediate traffic and hungry eyeballs on your offers
- PPC ads enable you to test different headlines, keywords, prices and selling approaches
- PPC ads enable you to discover your best, highest-converting keywords which you can distribute throughout your site in your copy and code, which will help your rankings in the organic search results
You can also buy Solo ads.
Step 6: Establish Yourself as an Expert in Your Niche
Create expert articles, videos, reports or any other content and distribute them free through web article directories.
Also become a regular contributor in industry forums and on social networking sites.
For better results, always cross-post to all your social media sites.
Your target market hangs out in forums and networking sites. This brings you traffic.
When you include a link to your site with each piece of information you share, people will click it and go to your site.
Every site that posts your content will link back to yours. Search engines appreciate them.
Step 7: Increase Your Income through Contextual Ads, Back-end Sales and Upselling
Some of them are Bidvertiser, Speedyads, Chitika, and Google AdSense.
No doubt much of your income will come from sales.
At least 36 percent of people who have purchased from you will do so again if you follow up with them.
The marketing strategy to use to get them to buy again is
back-end selling and upselling.
This consists in:
- Offering related products on your “Thank You” page after a purchase is completed.
- Proposing products that complement a buyer’s original purchase.
- Sending out electronic loyalty coupons purchasers can redeem on their next visit.
Now that you know how to run an online business successfully, it’s time to put the ideas into practice and, who knows, be the next success story on the Internet.
Do you know other ways to start and run an online business successfully? Let us know in the comments box below. Thank you for your contribution.
Your personal guide to securing your future online
Free Training Course
How to Start a Business