As a blogger, your many tasks can make you work like crazy.
Yet we all know that a Jack of all trades is a master of none.
“If you were wise, you would heed the saying “Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”
Looking to read a little more than a list? Click to see Summarily list of general tasks to outsource as an overwhelmed blogger, Part I
Want to read the full article? Click to see Are you Overwhelmed Blogging? – Then Outsource your Tasks (Part I)
What’s the way out of this Blogging Dilemma?
That is, outsourcing certain non-dollar productive activities to focus only on essential blogging tasks.
Engage People for the General and Technical Aspects of your Business
This makes a lot of sense as these workers are affordable, help ‘free the time’ in your working day, enabling you to shed business pressure.
PART I: GENERAL MATTERS
ROLE 1: GENERAL VIRTUAL ASSISTANT (GVA)
- Answering support tickets (with the use of Zendesk)
- Data Mining and Development or Lead Generation
- Document Template Creation
- Forms Creation
- Online Research
- Preparation of Training Materials
- Liaison between you and other team members
- Project Management and Training
- Recruitment (source for other team members like writers or graphic artists)
- Report Creation (on weekly tasks, deliverables, sales)
- Sending Invoices
- Simple eBook Layout or Formatting
- Transcription (voicemail, video or audio, podcasts etc.)
The task you can outsource is;
- 1. Basic Bookkeeping (MYOB, XERO & Quickbooks)
You can outsource your bookkeeping to a company like Bookly. See their powerful online bookkeeping solution.
Email Management Tasks
The email management tasks you can entrust to the GVA are:
- Building Database
- Filtering Emails
- Managing Spam
- Database building (eg. updating email or contact lists on your CRM)
- Following up with clients/customers (sending thank you and other reminder emails)
Email Marketing Tasks
Let a GVA oversee:
- Adding and Removing Subscribers from your Lists
- Creating a New List in Email Marketing Software
- Creating and Scheduling Broadcast Emails to Promote Content
- Creating Email Newsletters
- Editing Follow-up Emails and Auto-responders
- Editing or Proofreading Emails
- Setting up Autoresponders (Aweber, Mailchimp)
File Storage Tasks
GVAs help you organize files using:
- Data Entry in Word or in Google Docs
- Google Drive Organization
Live Web Chat Support and Receptionist Tasks
Outsource your webchat services to a virtual service company like Davinci Virtual.
However if you get a lot of calls, you may choose to have a receptionist in the office to attend to the phone.
Trust the following to a GVA:
- Creating Spreadsheets
- Managing Spreadsheets
- Preparing Slideshows (Powerpoint Presentations)
- Preparing keynote Presentations
- PDF Conversion, Splitting and Merging
Schedule Management Tasks
- Calendar Management
- Reminder Services
Social Media Management Tasks
A GVA can take care of:
- Facebook: Creating Fan Pages or Groups
- Facebook: Posting and Scheduling Insights
- Facebook: Promoting Pages
- Facebook: Collating and Interpreting Insights
- LinkedIn: Creating and Managing Account or Profile
- Pinterest: Creating Pinnable Images
- Pinterest : Scheduling and Tracking Pins
- Twitter : Creating Account
- Twitter: Managing and Increasing Your Following
- Twitter: Scheduling Tweets and Track Mentions and Hashtags
- YouTube: Creating and Managing Account
- YouTube : Uploading Videos
- YouTube : Moderating Comments
- YouTube: Answering inquiries and Messages on All Channels and Profiles
- Creating Slideshare Presentations
- Setting up, Managing and updating other Social Media Accounts such as Delicious, Diig, Google+, Reddit, StumbleUpon, Tumblr, etc.
Other tasks to be turned over to the General Virtual Assistant could be:
- Answering Customer Service Emails or Tickets or Chat Support
- Appointment Scheduling with clients
- Deadline or Deliverables Tracking
- Hotel and Flight Booking
- Participating in discussion forums or message boards (for more promotion!)
- Preparing Online Meeting Minutes
- Personal Errands (Purchasing Gifts Online, etc. for loved ones or family members)
- Receptionist Duties (answering occasional calls)
- Sending of Greetings eCards, Event Invitations, etc.
- Training of New Virtual Staff (Check out VSF Academy)
- Travel Arrangement and Planning
Need a GVA? – Click Here To Get One Now!
ROLE 2: BLOGGING ASSISTANT
Give them to a research assistant.
Content Writing Task
The solution to having regular content on your blog?
You can let people guestblog or ghostblog.
Alternatively you can buy articles at places like PeoplePerHour, etc.
Have a proofreader review your posts before they go live.
Image Sourcing and Creation Tasks
Uploading, Formatting and Optimizing Tasks
Hire someone to deal with these tasks.
This would give you a lot of peace of mind as this same person can also add in keywords and write a Google- friendly description of each post using the free WordPress SEO plugin by Yoast.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Web Marketer Tasks
An SEO task can go further than what I’ve said above.
Some of the tasks to hand over to the GVA are:
- Moderating Blog Commenting – Off Page Optimization for a post or page (and to increase links to your site
- Competitor Analysis
- Creating a Social Bookmarking Tracking Sheet
- Creating Backlinks or Link Building
- Forum Participation or Moderation
- Keyword Research for Blog Content
- Landing Page Set-up or Creation
- Monthly Keyword Ranking Reports
- On-page optimization for a post or page
- Site Analysis
- Sitemap Submissions
- Social Bookmarking (Digg, Stumble Upon, Reddit, Digg, Delicious)
- Weekly or Monthly Google Analytics and Traffic Reports
- Webmaster Submission
Traffic Management Task
An expert can better handle such traffic tasks as:
- Driving traffic to your posts and offers
- Sourcing traffic sources
Submission to Directories for Back Links Task
You’d better use software and virtual staff.
Submission to Social Media Task
Use Hootsuite to schedule out your social posts throughout the week.
Other Blogging Tasks
With Basic WordPress Skill, your GVA can also manage the following blogging tasks:
- Adding Tags to Blog Posts
- Press Release Writing
- Newsletter Writing
- Copywriting (Don’t Suggest Sales Copy)
- Article Spinning
- Article Marketing
PART II: TECHNICAL MATTERS
The second part of this article will take a look at the technical matters you can outsource, and the roles that the persons/companies you outsource the tasks to will be playing.
The roles are:
- Audio or Video Editor
- Graphic or Web Designer
- Web Developer
Now, for each role, which are the tasks you can entrust to the technical persons/companies?
ROLE 1: AUDIO OR VIDEO EDITOR
The tasks you can delegate in this regard are:
- Basic Editing of Audio Files
- Removing Background Noise from Audio and Video
- Adding Intros and Outros to Videos
- Basic Photoshop or Image Editing (N.B.: Not Graphic Design)
- Powerpress (Podcasting WP Plugin) Installation
- Podcast Setup on iTunes
- Podcast Insertion on Blogpost
- Transcription of Video and Audio Files
- Uploading Videos to YouTube and other Video Sharing or Social Media Sites
ROLE 2: GRAPHIC OR WEB DESIGNER
Let a specialist handle the following tasks for you:
- Basic Video Editing (Splicing Intros and Outros with Raw Footage)
- Designing Infographics Images (Content Provided)
- Designing Landing or Sales or Opt-In Pages
- Designing Logos, Banners, Icons, eBook Covers and Headers
- Designing Websites, Creating Mock-Ups
ROLE 3: WEB DEVELOPER
If you’re not a web developer and you want to customize your blog, don’t subject yourself to unnecessary stress when someone out there can help you with:
Your Blog Design Task
Check blogger Tyrone Shum in 5 Tips on How to Outsource Your Blogging
Technical Issues with your Blog Task
The same Tyrone Shum says there are aspects of his blog which need to be updated and changed from time to time. The more complicated it is, the more time it takes. And that is reason enough for him not to do it.
Website Updates Task
There are people who master coding and do this regularly. So consider outsourcing your website coding updates to them.
IT Support or Helpdesk Task
Outsource your IT related tasks to either a local or a remote company.
Then engage a super-skilled Web Developer VA to handle the coding and customizing side of things for you. Some of the tasks to hand over are:
- Support and Develop WordPress (PHP) Websites
- Install WordPress PlugIns and Themes
- WordPress Theme Customization
- WordPress Functionality and PlugIn Enhancement
- Site Maintenance or Security and Troubleshooting
- CRM Integration and Social Media Integration
- Payment Gateway Integration
- Install and Support an Email Ticketing System (eg. ZenDesk)
Check Chris Ducker’s Use my ‘3 Lists to Freedom’ exercise to create your own, personalized list!
Some pieces of advice
Don’t assume that one virtual staff employee can do everything. So hire for the roles, not the tasks.
That means building a team. A team in which each role player will bring on board knowledge of a certain number of tasks to work together to achieve your goal as a business owner.
Don’t forget also that some of these tasks will require training, especially ones that need the use of online tools.
Check the VSF Academy for some basic VA training which will enable your GVA’s handle all of these types of tasks with ease and confidence.
Don’t forget: “No person will make a great business who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit,” Andrew Carnegie.
Did you find this post helpful? Or are there some tasks not listed here you’d like to share with us? Simply scroll down to the comment box below and let us know. Thank you.
Your personal guide to securing your future online