Summary list of general tasks to outsource as a blogger, Part I
As a blogger, you have many tasks to accomplish. That can make you work like crazy. But there’s a way to lessen the burden. Outsourcing.
Looking for a quick read? Click to see list of tasks to outsource as an overwhelmed blogger
If you were wise, you would heed the saying “Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”
We all know that a Jack of all trades is a master of none. No wonder despite your struggles you always have unfinished (and even, abandoned tasks) and wished you had a million hours in the day.
What’s the way out of this Dilemma?
Leverage can only be achieved when certain non dollar-productive activities are outsourced so that you can focus only on essential blogging tasks such as content producing and marketing.
To outsource, engage people to handle the general and technical matters of your business.
These workers are affordable, help ‘free the time’ in your working day, enabling you to shed business pressure and thus work without stress on your business.
PART I: GENERAL MATTERS
They concern the roles that the General Virtual Assistant (GVA) and Blogging Assistant can play.
ROLE 1: GENERAL VIRTUAL ASSISTANT (GVA)
The main tasks they can take off your hands are:
Let your GVA handle:
- Answering support tickets (with the use of Zendesk)
- Data Mining and Development or Lead Generation
- Document Template Creation
- Forms Creation
- Online Research
- Preparation of Training Materials
- Liaison between you and other team members
- Project Management and Training
- Recruitment (source for other team members like writers or graphic artists)
- Report Creation (on weekly tasks, deliverables, sales)
- Sending Invoices
- Simple eBook Layout or Formatting
- Transcription (voicemail, video or audio, podcasts etc.)
The task you can outsource is;
14. Basic Bookkeeping (MYOB, XERO & Quickbooks)
If you are doing great business, you can outsource your bookkeeping to Bookly. See their powerful online bookkeeping solution.
Email Management Tasks
The email management tasks you can entrust to the GVA are:
15. Building Database
16. Filtering Emails
17. Managing Spam
18. Database building (eg. updating email or contact lists on your CRM)
19. Following up with clients/customers (sending thank you and other reminder emails)
Email Marketing Tasks
Let a GVA oversee:
20. Adding and Removing Subscribers from your Lists
21. Creating a New List in Email Marketing Software
22. Creating and Scheduling Broadcast Emails to Promote Content
23. Creating Email Newsletters
24. Editing Follow-up Emails and Auto-responders
25. Editing or Proofreading Emails
26. Setting up Autoresponders (Aweber, Mailchimp, GetResponse, ConstantContact, etc.)
File Storage Tasks
GVAs can help you organize files using:
27. Data Entry in Word or in Google Docs
29. Google Drive Organization
Live Web Chat Support and Receptionist Tasks
You can outsource live web chat to a service that has agents waiting to answer calls.
So outsource your webchat services to Davinci Virtual.
However if you get a lot of calls, you may choose to have a receptionist in the office to attend to the phone.
Trust the following to a GVA:
30. Creating Spreadsheets
31. Managing Spreadsheets
32. Preparing Slideshows (Powerpoint Presentations)
33. Preparing keynote Presentations
34. PDF Conversion, Splitting and Merging
Schedule Management Tasks
35. Calendar Management
36. Reminder Services
Social Media Management Tasks
Social media is a great avenue for you to interact with your current and prospective customers, since that is where billions of people spend a large part of their free time.
Handling just Facebook can be a daunting task. Yet, a GVA can take care of:
37. Facebook: Creating Fan Pages or Groups
38. Facebook: Posting and Scheduling Insights
39. Facebook: Promoting Pages
40. Facebook: Collating and Interpreting Insights
41. LinkedIn: Creating and Managing Account or Profile
42. Pinterest: Creating Pinnable Images
43. Pinterest : Scheduling and Tracking Pins
44. Twitter : Creating Account
45. Twitter: Managing and Increasing Your Following
46. Twitter: Scheduling Tweets and Track Mentions and Hashtags
47. YouTube: Creating and Managing Account
48. YouTube : Uploading Videos
49. YouTube : Moderating Comments
50. YouTube: Answering inquiries and Messages on All Channels and Profiles
51. Creating Slideshare Presentations
52. Setting up, Managing and updating other Social Media Accounts such as Delicious, Diig, Google+, Reddit, StumbleUpon, Tumblr, etc.
In addition to handling your social media posts, your social media manager can also deal with spam comments on your posts and alert you to anything that needs your immediate attention.
Other tasks to be turned over to the General Virtual Assistant could be:
53. Answering Customer Service Emails or Tickets or Chat Support
54. Appointment Scheduling with clients
55. Deadline or Deliverables Tracking
56. Hotel and Flight Booking
57. Participating in discussion forums or message boards (for more promotion!)
58. Preparing Online Meeting Minutes
59. Personal Errands (Purchasing Gifts Online, etc. for loved ones or family members)
60. Receptionist Duties (answering occasional calls)
61. Sending of Greetings eCards, Event Invitations, etc.
62. Training of New Virtual Staff (Check out VSF Academy)
63. Travel Arrangement and Planning
Need a GVA? – Click here to get one now!
ROLE 2: BLOGGING ASSISTANT
To write and publish a post requires a variety of tasks. These obviously demand a lot of time and effort.
You can save much of this time and effort by assigning the following tasks to someone else:
A research assistant can do research to flesh out your blog post idea. They would scour the web for articles, summarize the main points, facts and figures, and link to them.
Then you use the research to write the post.
The research assistant can also consult the topics on your blog, do research and come up with a whole list of new blog post ideas.
Content Writing Task
The solution to having regular content on your blog?
Guest blogging or ghost blogging.
Alternatively you can buy articles at places like TheHoth, PeoplePerHour, etc.
You may also look for a writer from your local university or college.
But blogger Chris Ducker advises not to outsource content often, especially if your brand hinges on it. He suggests teaming up with a good selection of virtual writers.
Rebecca Livermore also argues that if a post has your name on it, you should be the one to write it.
Check Rebecca’s Blogger’s Quick Guide to working with a team.
Have a proofreader review your posts before they go live to avoid the embarrassment of your readers pointing out typos to you.
Image Sourcing and Creation Tasks
Uploading, Formatting and Optimizing Tasks
Hire someone to deal with uploading, formatting and optimizing blog posts which can be very time-consuming.
This person can also add in keywords and write a Google-friendly description of each post using the free WordPress SEO plugin by Yoast.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Web Marketer Tasks
It is better to hire someone with a good knowledge and experience of SEO or a good web marketer to handle it so that your content can be positioned and marketed in such a way that it will bring in consistent, long-term traffic.
Some of the tasks to hand over to the GVA are:
1. Moderating Blog Commenting – Off Page Optimization for a post or page (and to increase links to your site
2. Competitor Analysis
3. Creating a Social Bookmarking Tracking Sheet
4. Creating Backlinks or Link Building
5. Forum Participation or Moderation
6. Keyword Research for Blog Content
7. Landing Page Set-up or Creation
8. Monthly Keyword Ranking Reports
9. On-page optimization for a post or page
10. Site Analysis
11. Sitemap Submissions
12. Social Bookmarking (Digg, Stumble Upon, Reddit, Digg, Delicious)
13. Weekly or Monthly Google Analytics and Traffic Reports
14. Webmaster Submission
Need top-notch hands down SEO services? See TheHoth.
Traffic Management Task
An expert can better handle such traffic tasks as:
15. Driving traffic to your posts and offers
16. Sourcing traffic sources
Submission to Directories for Back Links Task
Use software and virtual staff to submit content to directories and optimize your website to get more back links to save you a chunk of time.
Submission to Social Media Task
If you don’t want to outsource your Social Media Management Tasks, you can use Hootsuite and schedule out your social posts throughout the week.
Outsource the planning and scheduling out piece.
Other Blogging Tasks
With Basic WordPress Skill, your GVA can also manage the following blogging tasks:
17. Adding Tags to Blog Posts
18. Press Release Writing
19. Newsletter Writing
20. Copywriting (Don’t Suggest Sales Copy)
21. Article Spinning
22. Article Marketing
Outsourcing the tasks listed above can free up your time to concentrate on growing your business, educating yourself and enjoying the perks of your laptop lifestyle.
Have you outsourced any tasks? What was the experience? And if you haven’t, what ideas does this piece inspire in you? The box below is yours to let us know. Thanks.
Your personal guide to securing your future online
Want to read the full article? Click to see Are you Overwhelmed Blogging? – Then Outsource your Tasks (Part I)
Click here to go to Summary list of technical tasks to outsource as a blogger, Part II