Although Wealthy Affiliate is one of the good affiliate marketing training programs out there, it cannot be all good. What then, are its pros and cons you must know? Read on to find out.
What is Wealthy Affiliate?
Wealthy Affiliate was the initiative of Kyle and Carson to help people succeed online in the same way they themselves had already experienced success.
Since 2005 when it began as a PPC vendor site, the platform has continued to evolve and innovate at a pace that the site claims is faster than the industry.
In its 15 years of existence, Wealthy Affiliate has helped over 1.5 million budding internet entrepreneurs.
What are the Wealthy Affiliate’s pros and cons?
In this piece we are going to see 15 good sides of Wealthy Affiliate and 8 things which are ugly about it.
First, the good: What are the pros of Wealthy Affiliate?
We are going to see the 15 aspects of Wealthy Affiliate which make it a good site for affiliate marketing training.
1. Lifetime free trial: When you join Wealthy Affiliate, you’re offered a 7-day free trial.
During this period the trial members are encouraged to upgrade to premium.
If, at the expiry of the trial period, the person does not upgrade, they are authorized to remain as free members for life.
Of course, these members cannot access everything paid members have the rights to. For example, they can do only level one of both the Online Entrepreneur Certification Course (OEC) and the Affiliate Bootcamp one.
Premium members however, can take all the levels of both courses.
2. Membership is affordable and there are no upsells: It will cost you $49 a month or $359 a year to join Wealthy Affiliate.
This is less than a cup of coffee per day.
You would not spend even a penny more either on the membership or on any other kind of thing.
3. Gives you everything to start making money online: Affiliate marketing is one of your best routes to make money online. Wealthy Affiliate helps you do that by providing:
- A keyword research tool
- Website hosting (For 2 websites for free members and 10 for premium members)
- 1-1 support from the person you join with (use this link to join and get my help)
- 24/7 support from the site support and community
- and others we will touch upon below.
4. Invests in your affiliate marketing: Of course, you joined Wealthy Affiliate to have affiliate marketing training. But you’d find that they invest so much in the website owners’ internet marketing knowledge and success.
In effect, Wealthy Affiliate hosts the website (see above), provide the best affiliate marketing course on various ways site owners can be good affiliates for their company, and overall successful online. (More on this later).
5. Helpful and active community: There is a strong engaged community of 1.4+ million members at Wealthy Affiliate.
This community operates similarly to a social media site.
In effect, members can interact with one another, collaborate, and exchange feedback and comments.
There will be times when you have a nagging question that pops into your head. And that’s when the usefulness of the community really comes into focus!
I didn’t think much of this community until I hit a snag during the creation of this website. I sent out a question, and within minutes, helpful and valuable answers were flowing in. Then I solved my problem like a pro!
During your affiliate marketing journey at Wealthy Affiliate, you’d thank your stars to have a group of people of all marketing levels (including 6- and 7-figure marketers) at your disposal.
This single factor has been a huge motivator for many members and personally keeps me going in the face of daunting difficulties.
With the Wealthy Affiliate community, you can network with people and really make good and lasting friends here.
I have created deep personal relationships with some very successful members who let me drink deep of their experiences. I can send them a PM (Private/Personal Message) at any time of the day to find out a whole range of stuff I’m having problems with.
And they come to my rescue like a family! And in effect, that’s what the Wealthy Affiliate community is. One huge family online!
6. Seamless hosting: When running a website, one particular area you must pay good attention to is website hosting.
For this affects your uptimes, load speeds, and a host of other things.
It was in cognizance of this fact that Wealthy Affiliate made a huge update to their hosting in early 2020.
The co-owners invested millions of dollars into improving this and this has no doubt made a pretty big improvement to website load times.
Henceforth members have top-notch website hosting with higher uptimes, faster load speeds, and lots of other features you’d be grateful for.
7. Thousands of hours of recorded training: These cover all aspects of working online.
Some of them are:
- Building a post from scratch with Block Editor
- Opt-in strategies for2020 and beyond
- Creating a beautiful, professional looking website.
8. Weekly live webinars and updates with Q&A
This is one of the most popular features of the Wealthy Affiliate program.
Jay Neil is Wealthy Affiliate’s live training chief.
He hosts a live webinar every week on a Saturday for 60-90 minutes.
Links are sent out a week in advance for members to register for it. And at the indicated moment, you can jump on live and chat with the host and other members during the training.
What if you missed the training?
No problem. You can watch it as well as all the previous webinars on catch.
Topics of some of the previous trainings are:
- Using Google Analytics
- Pinterest marketing
- Converting visitors to buyers
- Email marketing
- Selling your own products
- Local SEO
- eCommerce and Dropshipping
- Hotseats (Jay chooses a few WA members’ websites to review and provide feedback)
- And much more
9. Provides tools you need to succeed and make money online: The tools you get are:
- SiteRank (Track historical rankings, monitor your website authority)
- Search analysis (analyze your competition, discover SEO trends)
- Alphabet soup (uncover millions of niches and ketwords)
- Brainstorm HQ (find trending, popular and lucrative ideas)
- Affiliate programs (search and find relevant affiliate programs in your niche)
- Niche keyword lists (exclusive to premium members)
- SiteManager (Access your websites + Site health)
- SiteBuilder (Build your website)
- SiteDomains (Find, register and manage your domains)
- SiteContent (The ultimate writing platform)
- SiteComments (Get comments on your pages and posts)
- SiteFeedback (Get feedback on your websites)
- SiteSipport (Technical support for your websites)
- Live Events (Webinar)
- Affiliate programs
- Live Chat
- Help Center
- Classrooms (tutorials, videos and webinars on aspects of online work)
10. Gets you up and running quickly: If you are new to online marketing, then this is by far maybe the biggest pro for Wealthy Affiliate.
The tools and training we mentioned earlier can get you and up and running in no time at all. You can even build your own website for free right now in under 3 minutes here.
11. Continually updated
I joined Wealthy Affiliate in August 2015.
There came a time at the beginning of my membership when the hullaballoo of life made me desert the site for a while.
When I came back a few months later, I had difficulty finding my way around. So much had the site changed.
In fact, the Wealthy Affiliate platform has changed so much since it first started in 2005.
I’ve read a ton of reviews about it. It was then I understood people who look in from the outside and criticize it as flawed.
Such a comment pitched me against a women on Quora. She claimed she was a former Wealthy Affiliate member and thought the site was only good for complete beginners and attacked me for saying it was okay for marketers of all levels.
Later I understood her. She had joined the site at its infancy and did not know that it had changed so much.
Every two years the site receives a complete facelift.
For example, when I joined the Jaaxy keyword tool was a paid feature and only the basic one was available free to members.
All that has changed and premium members have access to many of its features.
The Jaaxy pro is still only available by subscription but it is only necessary for power keyword researchers.
And as already mentioned above, the co-founders have just made a huge update to the website hosting servers. And since 2018 they have added a brand new feature to find affiliate programs.
These changes are possible because Kyle and Carson (see below) really listen to the Wealthy Affiliate members. They even regularly ask for our opinion on various matters of concern.
July 2020 update: A recent announcement let members in on the information that the entire Wealthy Affiliate structure is getting a revamp by the end of this year.
What pleased me most was the fact that every training will be updated.
12. Co-founders, Kyle and Carson, are accessible: When you sign up to the free membership, Kyle will get into contact with you until you upgrade. And at each of your milestones, he will personally congratulate you.
Carson is not an exception. Both are really active on the site and inside the community. You’d find them in chat and ready to answer you personally as each member can PM them.
13. Live Video Classes: Like I have done, you can learn a lot from these classes. And theyare for free!
These are truly awesome resources for growing your affiliate marketing business. I can assure you that these classes alone are worth many times the membership cost.
14. WordPress Themes and Plugins: You can choose from thousands of WordPress themes and plugins.
This saves you the headache of going to do this elsewhere.
Of course, they are no different from what you get for free at WordPress.org.
But if you go that route, you have to pay for hosting. But at Wealthy Affiliate, the domain hosting is included with premium membership.
15. Earn while you learn with the Wealthy Affiliate’s affiliate program: What differentiates the Wealthy Affiliate’s affiliate program from any other one online is the fact that the owners ARE affiliates. So, they understand affiliates. That’s why their entire business is based on catering to their affiliates.
No wonder they respect affiliates and their wants and needs. That is evident through the state-of-the-art technology behind their affiliate platform.
A further example of the love they have for affiliates is the fact that Wealthy Affiliate provides them with an education and coaching environment. This is to enable them advance their skill-set and be able to interact with some of the leading affiliate marketers in the world.
But that’s not all. Affiliates also receive a subset of tools they can utilize to maximize their marketing reach, conversions, and overall affiliate revenue.
Those have helped affiliates so much that they earn millions in commissions every year.
This is expected to continue as Wealthy Affiliate has never missed a single affiliate payment in their over a decade in business.
This makes them one of the longest standing and most lucrative affiliate programs on the Internet.
Imagine that the average commission is $121+ per sign up. And you will earn this monthly residual commission for your referral for the life of that member.
Use this link to send people to Wealthy Affiliate’s completely FREE and world-class Starter membership to start building a business.
Enough of the good sides of Wealthy Affiliate.
Now, the bad: What are the cons of Wealthy Affiliate?
We are now going to see 8 aspects of Wealthy Affiliate which somewhat reduces its attractiveness as a great site for affiliate marketing training.
1. No refunds policy: While you can join Wealthy Affiliate free for the first 7 days and remain a free member for life, you are encouraged to upgrade after the trial period.
You benefit from a special offer of $19 on your first month. At this point no refund is allowed. From thereon you pay $49/month.
The reasoning is that during the trial period, you have been given the opportunity to appraise the site. And it was in virtue of your acceptance of what it can offer you that you upgraded to premium membership.
However some people have bitterly complained about this policy.
As a company which listens, maybe one day Wealthy Affiliate will revise this policy.
2. Potentially addictive community: The Wealthy Affiliate site has an internal ranking system that evaluates each member’s participation within the community based on how much they help others.
Thus, if a member has a query, other members gain credit towards their internal ranking by answering.
Besides, being an engaged and active community of destiny and shared goals, a member can get caught in it giving advice, attention and care and receiving same.
Maybe you are used to communicating with your affiliate manager or a point of contact, but nothing compares to the networking potential of Wealthy Affiliate’s community.
What I find even more addictive is the blogging feature to share your affiliate journey with the community. This so much affects your rank that you may find yourself regularly contributing to it instead of minding your own business (no pun intended).
At a time I struggled to be part of the top 200, then the top 100, then the top 50 where the competition to remain at the top is very keen.
This is where you are rivaling with top marketers to help fellow members.
I intentional let my rank slip to over 6000 to that I can devote more time to my blog.
3. Takes 6 months or more for consistent income: The first lessons ask you to rid your mind of the misconception that affiliate marketing is a get-rich-quick scheme. Which is a good thing.
Yet taking 6 months or more to see a consistent income is not a virtue given to everybody. So people find the Wealthy Affiliate training not attractive enough.
I have myself had affiliates who left after a month, two or three of membership because success was not coming quick enough.
This obliged me to write the blog post below.
But those who have the courage and the wisdom to wait reap the fruits of their labours.
4. Some core training needs updating:
The maintenance of outdated training sessions on the site has been of concern to many members. This is also what makes outsiders feel that the training is only good for beginners.
I have myself watched some successful members walk off, since they felt that they had nothing more to gain remaining a member and nothing to lose giving up their membership.
5. Emphasis on promoting WA: This has been the basis of some of the most scathing criticisms of Wealthy Affiliate.
On every Wealthy Affiliate members site (including mine), you’d find something promoting the Wealthy Affiliate’s affiliate program.
But I think this comes from a lack of knowledge of the platform.
As we noted above, two training courses are offered. The Online Entrepreneurial course trains you to build a business around your own interests. It is only when you have difficulty choosing your niche that the Affiliate Bootcamp course comes to your rescue.
The Bootcamp course is in the Make Money Online (MMO) niche. This is where the chosen niche product is Wealthy Affiliate.
Since making people coming to work online have no idea what a niche is, let alone be able to select a profitable one, and the site itself does not do a good work of teaching about niches (is this a conscious decision?), many people embrace the bootcamp course.
However, as an independent online entrepreneur, a member of Wealthy Affiliate is not required at all to promote the affiliate program.
6. Information overload: There is quite a lot going on inside Wealthy Affiliate. What with the live chat, blog posts, individuals training’s etc., you can easily find yourself jumping from one matter to the other, trying to take on too much at once.
But know that a Jack of all trades is master of none. And failing to plan is planning to fail. So, study the site, draw up your program and follow it.
7. Not enough information about niche selection
This is one thing which got me pissed off about the Wealthy Affiliate training. And I’ve heard quite a number of people complain about it.
The training doesn’t really go into much detail about how to choose a profitable niche. So people embrace affiliate marketing. But this is too broad topic for one to succeed at ranking at.
One of my mentors at Wealthy Affiliate let me know that when I gave him my site to analyze.
8. Irrelevant ranking system
When new members come on the site and find that you are among the top 200, better, top 100, and best, top 50, they think you are something in online work. What they don’t know is that this is only internal to Wealthy Affiliate.
The ranking system isn’t pretty much more than how much people post blogs in there or comment with others.
Remember there are over 2 million people that have created an account with WA. It’s great that there are so many full time online business owners in there and it’s a great way to connect with people that you can learn from. But it also means there are people in there that are beginners that may not always offer the best advice.
As you can see, the pros of Wealthy Affiliate outweigh its cons. With the scales tipping in its favor, we can rate the affiliate training platform as good.
Do you know other good and bad sides of Wealthy Affiliate that we didn’t write about here? Tell us in the comments section below.
You may want to read:
Your personal guide to securing your future online
Don’t let lack of time and money prevent you from securing your future in affiliate marketing.
Make affiliate marketing secure your future so that you will have time and money to spare.
We help people with little time and little money secure their future in affiliate marketing.